Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Review: Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream

Totally late on reviewing this one as my previous blog posts didn't transfer over very well, so I kind of scrapped some of them and started from scratch. This was one of the posts that died. Sad.
Anyways!
I've previously stated that I feel that American BB creams are nothing more than tinted moisturizers with little to no skin benefits, unlike their Asian counterparts who do miracles of wonder and joy. The Smashbox BB cream is actually a tad bit different than it's US friends...

Product Info:
Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream
SPF 35
30 ml





















Where to get it:
Smashbox: 39.00
Sephora: 39.00
Ulta: 39.00
Nordstroms: 39.00

Description: 
"Always be camera ready with this 5-in-1 beauty balm! Moisturize, Prime, Perfect, Protect and Control Oil in one step to create a flawless face in a flash. Wear alone or under foundation for more coverage. Revolutionary tinted formula instantly evens out complexion to create smooth, radiant skin without settling into fine lines and pores. Keeps skin shine free while maintaining moisture, improving skin hydration by as much as 22% with continued use, and also significantly reduces the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles after only 4 weeks of use."

Claims:
-Moisturizes
-Use as a primer
-Perfects the skin
-UV protection
-Controls Oil
-Wrinkle Care

Ingredients:
Water, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Behenyl Alcohol, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Peg-40 Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract (Extrait D'Orge), Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Polyquaternium-51, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Trehalose, Oryzanol, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Urea, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sucrose, Glycerin, Sodium Stearoyl Lacylate, Caffeine, Linoleic Acid, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Squalane, Sodium PCA, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Stearic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Xanthan Gum, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silica, Disodium EDTA, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)]





















Scent:
The only thing that I can smell from this BB cream is a plastic-y smell, which isn't my most favorite of scents (does anyone actually ENJOY this smell!?). I understand a lot of people are allergic to added fragrances, but at least throw in some some more of the apple or cucumber extracts as this smell does linger for quite a bit.

Packaging:
As I was given this as gratis I didn't receive the box that they normally come in, but was just given the tube. It's fairly plain as packaging goes. A black tube with the name stamped clearly across the front in bold white lettering in both English and French. It shows the shade, but only as it's printed on as not as a clear cut out to show the exact shade. On the back in both English and French it explains how to use it, warnings, and the main active ingredients. It also has a sticky label on the back showing what shade it is.
It is a twist off tube and you must squeeze to get any product out, but be careful as the first few uses pour out as it sits on the top.

















Swatch:
As you can see it does cover very well and goes on smoothly, but it's also incredibly thick and have taken to using a moisturizer to help thin it out a bit. It eventually dries as a matte finish, but as I use a moisturizer to cut it, it tends to look a bit dewy which I do love (I love me some dewy finishes!)


















Results:
I personally haven't seen any difference in moisture level, wrinkles, or helping perfect the skin. The first couple of times I used this BB cream, I'd start to break out which led me to throw it in the back of my makeup drawer for quite a while and eventually forgot about it. I then received another one from work and they made a requirement for us to wear it. So, I pulled this one out again and begged it to work for me. It does have nice coverage, that I can give it. It's also quite thick feeling and doesn't really oxidize towards any skin color so you get what you swatch. It does go on smoothly thanks to the leading Dimethicone ingredient and is FILLED with moisturizers and anti-inflammatory ingredients, so I can see where they get their claim of a 22% increase of moisture in 4 weeks. It also has a few extracts and other ingredients that help in the "smoothing" or conditioning of skin like the Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, or Baikal skullcap. It's mostly used in traditional Chinese medicine, but is used quite frequently as an anti-inflammatory ingredient and as a smoothing agent for the skin. I've tried wearing this as a primer, but it tends to cake up once something is places on top. When wearing it alone though, I feel as though it didn't even last till half way through my lunch on an 8 hour work day.

Pros:
-Great Coverage
-Applies smoothly

Cons:
-Very expensive
-Causes me to break out
-Plastic smell
-Cakes up easily
-Wears off after a few hours

Rating: 3/10
I can't understand the reasoning behind the cost and why it's so expensive when there are so many other BB creams that are way better than this and literally a fourth of the cost. It seemed to not work well at all with my dry skin, even through most of the ingredients in this cream were to help moisturize. I think it might work really well for older skin, or those who have oily/combo.
Since this is available at any Sephora, Ulta, or Nodrstroms I would definitely ask for a sample before you take it home as it comes in 4 shades and they tend to be more warm for pale skin and cooler for darker skin.
I gave away my second tube and am planning on doing the same for this one.

* This product was provided to me as gratis from Sephora as I was an employee and am covering my employee number up in some photos, which is why they might seem a bit odd. My opinions and thoughts are my own~

No comments:

Post a Comment