Sunday, August 11, 2013

Review: SkinFood Black Sugar Mask


As I mentioned in a previous post, I had hit up a SkinFood's store in Seoul, South Korea a bit ago and wasn't really looking for things to buy for myself, but ended up grabbing a few goodies. Well, this mask is another one of those goodies!
I had heard a lot about this mask from friends in Seoul as well as seeing it in a lot of window displays around town. From working at Sephora I had heard about the whole sugar mask trend and how amazing they are for your skin as the lemon helps tone and the brown sugar is a natural, gentle exfoliant that gently polishes the complexion. Seeing as I already had the Fresh Sugar Face Polish, I was curious as to how this well this one worked.

Product Info:
SkinFood Black Sugar Mask
100g

Where to get it:
YesStyle: 10.00
Sasa: 11.60
W2Beauty: 15.15
Pretty & Cute: 16.95
SkinFood stores in LA carry it for: 17.00

Description: 
"A mask that contains mineral-enriched Brazillian black sugar, and promotes smooth glowing skin."

My camera hates this product and refuses to take nice photos

















Claims:
-Exfoliates
-Nourishes
-Revitalizes skin

Ingredients:
Sucrose, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Glycerin, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candella) Wax, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Lanolin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Butyrospermum Parkll (Shea Butter), Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Sorbitan Laurate, Butylparaben, BHT, Caramel, Parfum

Scent:
It smells almost exactly like Lemon heads! I love the scent of lemons as it's a very crisp, clean, and fresh. The smell is very light and doesn't linger on the skin at all. It's mostly brought out when the jar is opened and first applied to the skin.

Packaging:
It's the usual SkinFood wash off mask with a plastic jar and a twist off lid. It has directions printed in both English and Hangul (Korean). The jar itself is very sturdy and I never have to worry if I drop it, which occasionally happens. I understand this type of product couldn't come in any other form besides a jar, but I wish they'd at least include a spatula so then at least it'd be a bit more hygienic. I really do like how most Korean beauty companies have this seal on their products! Although it usually comes with the more liquid like products, I still appreciate it whenever I see it. Sadly, I didn't see any of the scrubs completely filled to the brim with product (the jars are semi-transparent). On the other hand, it's nice to see how much you have left without opening the jar.




















Swatch: 
It recommends that the product is applied to freshly washed damp skin and to use extra toner or water while massaging, as it'll help prevent any irritation. Leave the mask on for 10-15 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water. Although this mask looks quite brown in the jar, it turns my skin into a lovely shade of orange as if I've been fake tanning for years.





















Results: 
I really like that this mask doesn't have the uncomfortable tightening that others have as soon as it hits the 5 minute mark, It never fully dries up which is nice. The sugar dissolves when you're rinsing so I never fear damage to my skin from the harsh pieces of sugar (Unless you scrub extremely hard!). As a person with dry skin, it definitely helps create a healthy complexion and my skin does feel hydrated afterwards. Although it doesn't come with any kind of spatula and I really hate touching products with my hands, I simply use a clean spoon to grab a little each time so at least it stays sanitary. My face also feels nice and firm afterwards.

Pros:
-Gentle exfoliator
-Pleasant smell
 -Skin is brighter and clear
-Cheap, even in the US!

Cons:
-Could be a bit more hygienic with packaging
-Never filled completely with product

















Rating: 8/10
I would definitely repurchase whenever I go back to Korea as I hear trying to find one of these in a SkinFood store is near impossible! That alone should let you know how amazing these scrubs are!

No comments:

Post a Comment